Seattle World School Volunteer Positions
We are lucky to have our community partner, Kandelia, support us with over 20 volunteers during the school year. See how you can join below!
School Day Support
This program serves students during the school day with classroom support, library support, and the weekly food bag program during the school day. Students have been in the United States for less than a year and are adapting to a new culture, community, and education system.
After School Support
This program serves 30-50 students afterschool with homework help, tutoring, English club and more.
During the school day and/or after school, tutors work one-on-one with students in specific classes (English, math, science, etc.) based on schedule and interests. As a tutor, you will:
- Encourage students’ academic enrichment by providing quality tutoring.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all students.
- Assist in engaging students to learn through organized one-on-one or small group activities.
- Assist teachers with various tasks and classroom management.
If you would like to volunteer, please email Baeda Agonafer firstname.lastname@example.org
The information below does not apply to Seattle World School. Kandelia has its own process, described above.
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Visit the SPS Volunteer page for more information.
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in 2021. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!